What is Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)? – Veterans Disability

What is Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)? – Veterans Disability

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a type of Veterans Disability benefit for spouses and dependents of United States Armed Forces service members who have died on duty or due to a disease or injury incurred while on duty. It is dispersed through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and must be applied for (unfortunately, they won’t just send it to you).

Because of all the “ors” and “ands”, it can be difficult to understand just who is eligible to apply for DIC. If you’re unsure whether you should apply, keep reading, and don’t be afraid to consult with a knowledgeable Tampa Veterans Disability lawyer who can help clarify the issue for you and assist in the application process.

Who is Eligible for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)?

The Department of Veterans Affairs list their eligibility requirements on their site, however, they can be a little complicated to understand.

If you are the surviving spouse and you:

  • were married to service member when they died on active duty, inactive duty training, or active duty for training;
  • were married to the deceased Veteran before January 1st, 1957;
  • were married within 15 years of the injured Veteran’s discharge date;
  • were married to the Veteran for at least one year; OR
  • had a child with the now deceased Veteran;
  • AND you lived with the Veteran until his or her death and are not currently remarried, you may be able to receive benefits. If you remarried after December 16, 2003, or later, or if you remarried after turning 57, you may also be able to receive DIC benefits.

If you are no longer eligible for benefits but have dependents with the deceased Veteran, they may be eligible if they are unmarried and under 18 or attending school and between the ages of 18-23.

Your spouse served this country. Make sure you’re receiving the benefits you or your children are entitled to as a result of his or her sacrifice.

Do I Need a Veterans Disability Lawyer to Help Me Get Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)?

While you don’t need a lawyer to apply for DIC, it can be helpful. Even the eligibility list is difficult to parse without getting a headache.

To apply for DIC, you’ll need to be able to prove your spouse’s death was related to a disease or injury from his or her military service or that while your spouse’s death was not related to a service time injury or disease, they were entitled during their lifetime to receive Veterans disability benefits for a disease or injury that was rated as “totally disabling”.

This means you may need copies of your spouse’s medical records and service records, as well as their death certificate with their cause of death. If your spouse died in active duty, a military representative will help you with this. If your spouse died from an injury or disease sustained while on duty after leaving the service, you will be responsible for filling out the appropriate paperwork unless you work with a representative such as a Tampa Veterans Disability lawyer.

How Can a Veterans Disability Lawyer Help Me Apply for DIC?

A knowledgeable Tampa Veterans Disability lawyer understands the DIC application process and has helped families apply for benefits. Their expertise can help you navigate through the applications process more quickly and ensure a complete application that is more likely to be accepted. A consultation is free, so speak with a Tampa Veterans Disability lawyer to get the assistance you and your family deserve. Our Veterans didn’t serve their country alone—they did it with the love and support of their families. In your time of need, make sure you’re being supported.