Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Insurance Disputes, Employment Disputes, Class Actions
Law School Attended:University of Florida
Bar Passed: Florida; U. S. Supreme Court; U. S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; U. S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit; U.S. District Court, Northern District Court of Florida; U. S. District Court, Middle District of Florida; and U.S. District Court, Southern District.
John has received numerous honors for his legal achievements, including an “AV” rating, the highest honor awarded by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is based on the opinion of his professional peers.He is also certified by The Florida Bar as a specialist in Business Litigation Law. Certification is the highest level of recognition given by The Florida Bar for competency and experience within an area of law. John has been selected as a Florida “Super Lawyer,” honored in Florida Trend as one of Florida’s legal elite, and recognized by Tampa Bay Magazine as one of Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers. He is a member of the 2015 Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the 2015 Multi-Million Dollar Advocated Forum.
John Bales has been practicing law for over 33 years. He focuses his practice in the areas of:
- Personal injury
- Insurance disputes
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Child injuries
- Social security benefits
- Mass torts
- Professional liability matters
He has lectured on various topics, including insurance coverage, personal injury, construction, litigation procedure, ethics, and professional liability for organizations, continuing education companies, and national corporations. His courses have served as the training for understanding construction contracts and insurance policies.
John strives to enhance his profession and himself through participation in professional organizations. He is a member of:
- The Florida Bar
- Standing Committee on Advertising as Vice Chair
- The Florida Bar Grievance Committee for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit (13A)
- An arbitration panel on legal fee disputes for the Thirteenth Circuit Fee Arbitration Committee as the chair
- The St. Petersburg Bar Association
- The Clearwater Bar Association
- The American Bar Association (Trial Lawyers Section., and the Federal Bar Association)
- Florida Justice Association (served on its Board of Directors)
- The American Association for Justice
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association
- The National Crime Victims Bar Association
He is an active participant in the American Inns of Court, which has a mission of fostering excellence in professionalism, ethics, civility, and legal skills for judges, lawyers, academicians, and students of law in order to perfect the quality, availability, and efficiency of justice in the United States.
He was elected to a national position as a Trustee of the American Inns of Court Foundation’s Board of Trustees, and served as Treasurer and Executive Committee member. He was a Barrister with the Justice William Glenn Terrell Inn of Court. He is proud to have participated in organizing the Tampa Bay Inn of Court. He has served as its Secretary, Treasurer, Executive Director, and is a founding Master.
John is committed to serving his community.
He is currently serving on:
- The Board of Trustees at the University Of Florida Law Center
- The Board of Directors of the University of Florida Gator Boosters.
He is involved in:
- The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Enrichment Grant Program
- The City of Tampa Variance Review Board as Chair and on the Tampa-Hillsborough Cable Advisory Committee
He has provided pro bono legal services through Bay Area Legal Services.
He was a committee member of:
- Bay Area Legal Services Annual Fundraiser Cup of Hope
- Fund Raising Committee of the Gulf Ridge Counsel of the Boy Scouts of America
- Board of Directors for the American Heart Association
- Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Tampa Alumni Association
- Leadership Tampa Bay Alumni Association
- United Way
- Keel Club
- Board of Directors for Florida Affiliate, Inc.
- Chair of the inaugural Tampa Heart Walk
- which was one of the most successful first years Heart Walk in the history of the American Heart Association
- The Hillsborough County Charter Review Committee
- which reviewed and made recommendations about the County Charter
John was a participant in:
- The Board of Directors of the Florida Bay Chapter of the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
- Chair of the Executive Committee
- Chair of the Board of Directors
- Chair of the Recruiting Committee
- Chair of the Long Range Planning Committee
- Chair of the Campaign Committee
- Leadership Tampa and Leadership Tampa Bay Programs
John is a member of The Florida Bar and is admitted to:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District Court of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District.
He received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting, with honors, and his Juris Doctor, with honors, from the University of Florida. There he was elected to Phi Eta Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies. John also was Vice Chair of the Justice Campbell Thornton National Moot Court Board and honored as an outstanding member.
John’s email address is jbales@JohnBales.com.
Follow John on Twitter: Follow @JohnBalesLaw